For the past two weeks, a lot of basic scripting for the game has taken place. Essentially I have been copying over and refactoring scripts from my previous games Overlooker and Overlooker 2 that are the foundation for the overworld mechanics. This includes things such as textboxes that pop up when you examine things such as signposts and bookshelves, an options menu that lets you exit the game, the ability to switch between the four main characters, basic movement, collision, and more.
I did encounter one of the most bizarre bugs I have ever seen. For the textbox I was using GML’s draw_rectangle() function to draw a semi-transparent black box over half the screen so that the text on top would stand out more. When I tested it, objects such as trees in the overworld would disappear while cycling through the textbox, and then reappear when finished. I changed the depth of the textbox object and saw that for some reason GameMaker was taking the tree sprite and drawing stretched versions of it over the map. I have absolutely no idea why it would do that instead of drawing a rectangle, and it’s even more bizarre considering that it was the same code I had used for textboxes in Overlooker 2. I could not find anyone who had a similar bug when searching Google, so I replaced the draw_rectangle() call with drawing a sprite as the textboxes will most likely have their own artwork instead of being simple rectangles anyways. Problem avoided, but still bizarre! That is the first bug I’ve had in GameMaker that was completely baffling.
Edit 7/25/2016: Reinstalled GameMaker Studio and the bugs I had been encountering have disappeared.
I have been working on sound design for the game’s soundtrack, but have not posted any new soundtrack demos since the last batch. I am still having some trouble deciding on how the music should sound, but I think with the basic gameplay mechanics being implemented and artwork being put into the engine it will be easier to figure that out while playing the game.
Our artist Leandro has been doing great work, and we’ve revealed two new areas that he has worked on; the wasteland (below) and cyberpunk city (above). He has been working on tiles for other areas and sprites for the main characters, and more artwork and areas will be revealed over time so be sure to follow the Towards The Pantheon social media accounts below to keep up to date!
I am very happy with the progress so far considering I work a full time job, work with 2 other game development teams, and have other obligations. I will begin working full time on the game in less than 2 months, and I think I’ll have a large majority of the game’s mechanics implemented so I can focus on level creation, balancing, and playtesting. My friend Kyle Mountifield has helped me finish up enemy and boss designs, and he will be a big help in content creation and playtesting! I’m also fortunate to have some other great friends who will be helping out with playtesting throughout development.
That’s it for this devlog, the next devlog will be posted roughly 2 weeks from now!
If you enjoyed this devlog follow the game and us developers on social media for more frequent smaller updates!
Thanks for reading!